After reading the article, two ideas stood out to me. First, the authors explained that textbooks often present polished results while hiding the mistakes made behind the scenes. Showing the mistakes could help students recognize that making mistakes is very normal in mathematics. In addition, introducing a historical problem before teaching its modern solution is useful because it can help students understand why the modern solution is needed. In the future, I think my goal with mathematical history is to choose examples that support mathematical understanding, while also showing that math is developed through real life problems.
Lastly, the article mentioned several key factors on why history of mathematics is often neglected in classrooms: lack of time, lack of resources, lack of expertise, lack of assessment. I think teachers could use short and accessible (i.e., can be googled easily) historical examples in lessons instead of treating history as an entirely separate topic, which I will try to do during practicum.
I like your idea of giving students the historical problem before showing them the modern solution. It could create that moment of “okay, now I see why we need this method,” which connects nicely to the article’s point about history helping us understand why mathematical ideas developed in the first place.
ReplyDelete